it’s officially time for an exciting blog post! on saturday, february 12, 2011 12:27pm – i crossed the finish line for the hypothermic half marathon! yes, tres exciting world!
i feel like doing a play by play:
- 07:30am: my body wakes me up, even though i do not need to be @ eau claire market until 09:30am. i am just too nervous. this is ok, though – it gives me time to have a substantial breakfast of 1 orange and 2 pieces of dempster’s toast with peanut butter.
- 09:25am: i arrive @ eau claire. time for a nervous pee.
- 09:30am: i meet up with my fellow running room peeps. we shoot the shit and introduce husbands / boyfriends / fiances. photos ensue:
09:45am: nervous pee.
- 09:55am: all 150 racers head towards the starting line. this was confusing, as the line started outside and ended up inside eau claire. before we knew it…
- 10:00am: 3 – 2 – 1 – GO!
1km: i am so nervous. everything is making me laugh. this is ok. let all these people go past me… see you all later!
- 3km: hm, this kinda sucks. am i going too fast? too slow? why do my legs hurt already?
- 4km: oh dear god this was a stupid idea. maybe i should have listened to my sore legs all week and threw in the towel. ugh. oh well, i better truck on through.
- 7km: i’m in pain, but i can do this. time for a yummy electrolyte chew – sodium, potassium, and sugar FTW!
- 9.5km: wow, i feel great! let’s pick up the pace! pain? what pain? i had no pain! my running buddy, cherie, points out the lack of pain since i had the electrolyte candy – *ding*! epiphany!
- 10km: yay there is hubby! and he’s taking a photo of us!
- 14km: time for more electrolyte goodness. more discussion on the fact that i haven’t been fueling myself properly the entire time i’ve been training, which explains why it always hurt so much for me on my long runs. (note: for fuel, see “carbs” and proper hydration, including sodium and potassium)
- 17km: ok, now this is getting a bit painful, but that is normal.
- 18km: omg – i have not run further than 18.5 yet. omg omg!
- 19.6km: what?! we’re at 19.6?! HOLY HANNA – I’m excited but too tired to show it!
- 20km: only 1km left. only 1km left. why oh why is the last 1km of the route this stupid twisty piece of crap thing. lets just get this over with.
- 21km: I DID IT! I get a medal? omg i am going to collapse. ange, let me drink your entire 1 litre of water because i under-hydrated myself. i think i’m going to barf. just let me sit. thanks.